Monday, November 11, 2013

A blog about learning languages Aderyn Cân Advanced Welsh learner's blog Amazing Music Blog Angelfir


Yes, I've been tearing my hair out with that task I set myself and you lot just 2 short posts ago.... translating the words to " The Greatest Light is the greatest shade" by The Joy Formidable city link into Welsh!! So far I've done 4 drafts, and it's still not right... but some of it is. So... I'll show you what I've got so far, and also run through some of the things I've had to think about along the way.... Here's what I've done with it so far... by the way, I haven't put in any mutations as yet.. 4th draft… Un gwydr, un golygfa, un drych, P’un sy drysu fel ffenestri agored yn y hyrddiau? Bydd yn dod y dydd tawel. Mae’n hwn breuddwyd mewn ysbiendrych nawr. Twymyn yn cynfasau, mynd anhysbys Hwn ofn mae'n cynyddu a mae'n methu Mae'n suddo ac nofio. Nes dau lygaid allan o'r tywyllwch tynnu gobaith agos. hwn calon plentynnaidd bydd i ddim aros Mae’n dawnsio, dwi'n cadw effro meddwl , ti'n y golau mwya , cysgod mwya, Dwi’n gallu hapus i ti. [a] Stop laughing and try to be helpful, supportive and constructive. [b] That first line... I tried it without the "un"s but it didn't feel right, but it probably was.... just how do you deal with a string of nouns when you can't say " a" in Welsh? Plus, what can she mean by that "glass".... is it literally a glass, or does it chime with the "telescope" later on,,, because magnifying glasses and binoculars used to just be called a "glass." [c] Welsh word order makes those repeat lines tricky, because city link if you repeat the bits like they do in the song, the word order is all wrong. For example, the repeated " This dream is" doesn't city link seem to work properly at all if you hve to start with the "is" and I don't know enough about "focussing" yet which I think might be the key to it. For now, I've left the repeats out. Sorted! city link [d] " Bedtime covers".. I wrestled with that al ot, but then I had a bit of serendipity, a lucky break. In Menna Elfyn's poetry collection " Eucalyptus" there is a poem called Un Noson, and in it she uses the words " cynfasau" for bedsheets!! Aha! Thanks Menna. [e] " Go unknown" isn't very nice either. [f] the "misses" in grows and misses... I haven't got that right yet. [g] What's the right word order for a complex sentence like " Until two eyes out of the darkness bring hope close?" Think about it!! I have. [h] It took me a while to find out how to say "childish." [i] " to think on"... what does she mean there? [j] I haven't got The Greatest Light is the Greatest shade right yet....it should city link be easy but I'm doing something wrong somewhere. [k]etc etc etc etc etc. It's been fascinating city link trying to work all this out, and I've learned a lot on the way... but the truth is, poetic, shades-of-meaningstuff like this is really tough to translate, even though most of the actual words are simple enough. It certainly gives you incredible respect for he people who do this sort of thing well. I shall keep working on it.... Naturally, I would really really like some advice about all this... I'm sure some of you out there must be much better than I am. In the meantime.... here's a sweet little song by Trwbador ... Daw'r nos, Daw'r Haf...
2013 (94) November (2) October (15) September (12) August (12) July (12) June (7) May (7) April (9) March (9) February (2) January (7) 2012 (72) December city link (7) November (2) October city link (2) September (2) August (6) July (9) June (8) May (7) April (8) March (11) February (9) January (1) 2011 (68) December (2) November (5) Adroddiad.... Chwaneg...... Bawd .......... Allwch chi'i city link drwsio city link fe ? Cynfasau..... October (4) September (10) August (7) July (4) June (6) May (7) April (2) March (4) February (11) January city link (6) 2010 (19) December (15) November (4)
Fi Wela....
A blog about learning languages Aderyn Cân Advanced Welsh learner's blog Amazing Music Blog Angelfire...lots of Welsh lyrics BBC Cymru site Baby Steps ro Fluency BabylonWales...Welsh Culture site Blog Dot Blog Gwenno Blog Mali Blog for Welsh learners in the SE. BlogMadog6 Casglu'r Tlysau... interesting old stuff... Castell Tywod.... Castles of Wales site Catchphrase..free city link downloads! Cerddoriaeth Cymraeg music blog Chocolate city link and Vodka.. lots about Welsh Clecs Cilgwri Clic Clic Cymraeg Welsh lessons Clwb Malu Cachu Cob Records, Bangor Crap signs .... Datblygu Derby Welsh Learners... Dyl Mei blog... Exactly what it says on the tin... not the Welsh tin though Eye on Wales blog Fideos Pop Cymraeg site Golwg360....news Gorky's Zygotic Mynci Spanish site (?) Gwybodiadur... a mine of information HWBTVchannel, Welsh lessons etc Hey Log... great artwork and Welsh Interesting.... Language Log ... diddorol Listen Again to Radio Cymru's stuff Llwybr llaethog site Llyfrgell Owen site Loads of brilliant learning materials here... Lois Gwenllian blog Lol Lwlw Lots of Welsh pop videos... Melysion blog... Menna Elfyn's site... brilliant stuff Miserable Old Fart Morfablog ! My Welsh pop music site... My daft birdwatching blog... Peski records Popeth cymraeg Pugnacious Li

No comments:

Post a Comment